Personalise this site:

Default Cats Dogs Small Mammals

Holly and Dogs

C  fakepath hollydog 

Q.     I have a holly tree in the garden, are the berries poisonous to my dog?

 

A.    Yes, both the berries and the leaves are toxic.  They contain an alkaloid called Ilicin, which can cause vomiting, and diarrhoea, or lethargy and mental dullness in severe cases. These cases do need to be seen by a vet as prompt treatment can prevent further absorption of the toxic ingredient. You should also be aware that mistletoe is even more hazardous - causing severe bloody diarrhoea, so keep that well out of reach too.

Pet Advice

Out In