Caring for your Dog
The Basic Things Your Dog Will Need
- Collar, lead and tag
- Food bowls
- Brush and comb
- Treats, bones and chews
- Poop scooper and plastic bags
Caring For Your Dog
Every year your dog should:
- Visit the vet at least once for a check up to make sure your dog is fit and healthy.
- Once a year, have an injection (called a “vaccination”) to protect your dog from nasty diseases that would make your dog very poorly or even die. The vet will usually give your dog this injection at the same time as the check up.
- have his teeth checked to ensure they are clean, strong and healthy.
Every month your dog should:
- be protected against fleas and worms. The vet can give your dog a special treatment that will stop your dog from catching fleas and worms. If your dog is not treated, the fleas can give your dog itchy skin and the worms can give your dog an upset tummy.
Every week, your dog should:
- have his coat brushed. Some weeks your dog may need a bath so you may need a grown-up to help you with this.
Every day, your dog should:
- be fed healthy food. The vet can tell you about the best food to feed your dog to help keep your dog fit and healthy and to keep your dog’s teeth and coat in good condition.
- have fresh water.
- get plenty of exercise. A good walk together will be good exercise for you too, as well as being fun!
And there's more!
- To help stop your dog from getting lost, the vet can give your dog a special “tag” called a “microchip”. This is injected under your dog’s skin, at the back of the neck. If your dog does get lost, the microchip will have your details on so that your dog can be returned to you. By Law, all dogs must also wear a collar with tag attached and you will need a grown-up to get this done for you.
- If your dog is ever unwell, or if you would like to know more about looking after your dog, contact your local vet who will be pleased to help you.
- Don't forget to play with your dog and most of all, give your dog lots of love!
Everything that can be done for you, by your doctor and dentist, can be done for your dog at Pet Doctors.