10 Facts You Never Knew About Ferrets
- Over 25% of Britain's ferrets live the south east, compared to just 12 per cent in the north west.
- 61% of ferret owners are female.
- 67% of ferret owners are married or living with a partner.
- A single ferret is a lonely ferret - 88% of owners have at least two.
- Almost half of owners have acquired their ferret in the last five years.
- Ferrets no longer work for their living - only one in five ferrets is in employment.
- In terms of colouring, the sable, or polecat is the most popular (78%), followed by albino (57%), sandy (43%), silver (27%), dark eyed white (14%).
- Most ferrets are fed on special dried food, sometimes combined with fresh meat (survey sponsors James Wellbeloved Complete Ferret Food is used by 85% of respondents).
- Just over half of ferret owners take their pet to the vets for a regular check-up, but that still leaves 40% of owners who don't bother at all.
- And finally - 21% of male ferrets have had a vasectomy.
Posted by Arlo Guthrie at What's New In The Veterinary Profession